Raymond Thomas Syrja
What’s it all about?
It’s all about the light, not the thing,
It’s about the tone, not the ring,
the size, the weight or any thing.
It’s all about the beauty, not the boast
It’s about the soul, not the most,
the gift, the drink or the toast.
Who am I?
I was born in the sweet little town of Jasper,
with the National Park as my backyard,
evolving from being embarrassingly shy
to donning the skin of an actor,
a poet and finally a painter.
What have I done?
- during the past 40 years, worked in watercolours, acrylics, sculpture and graphic digital art
- travelled throughout the world and immersed in galleries
- studied watercolour painting with Harold Dermont Olson over a 10 year period
- studied watercolours with Brian Atyeo, Barbara Nechis and Greg Johnson
- a member of the Jasper Artists Guild for 10 years
- taught as a Workshop Instructor with the Jasper Further Education Council, Silvertip Art, Jasper Park Lodge Elderhostel Program, A Brush With Watercolour, Jasper Artists Guild and Artra.
- co-author of two watercolour workshop booklets
- projects have ranged from fine art shows to billboards; museum displays to restaurant menus; travelling displays to chalk boards
- participated in many single artist, two person and group shows
- with sales radiating from Jasper National Park, the artwork has travelled throughout the world.